WHO IS ELEANOR WINTERS?
Eleanor Winters has been an active participant in the international calligraphy movement for more than three decades. A commercial as well as fine-art calligrapher, she is the author of five calligraphy books:
- Calligraphy in Ten Easy Lessons (Dover Publications, 1984),
- Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy (Dover, 1989),
- Calligraphy for Kids (Sterling Publishing , 2004),
- 1-2-3 Calligraphy (Sterling Publishing, 2006),
- and Italic and Copperplate Calligraphy (Dover, 2011).
She is currently working on her next book, Remembering the Children, a collection of calligraphic paintings commemorating the children deported from Paris during World War II who died in the Nazi concentration camps.
She served as Director of the Calligraphy Workshop in New York City for 25 years, taught as a Professor of Art at Long Island University from 1990 – 2005, and is currently on the faculty of the New York Society of Scribes calligraphy program. She teaches workshops in the US and Europe and has visited Asia as a calligraphy instructor numerous times, including two month-long teaching trips in 2014 and 2015. As a fine art calligrapher, Eleanor has exhibited her work in museums and galleries in the US and Europe. She divides her time between New York and Paris.